Cooking the same dishes for dinner can get boring to eat daily. You can try some new dishes for dinner and impress your family & friends. It can motivate them to have a nice family dinner together with happiness and joy. Here are some best ideas for you,
13 Best Family Dinner Ideas
1. Ravioli Lasagna
It is one of the tempting dishes to eat. However, it is not that difficult to prepare, and the ingredients are easy to find. If you haven’t prepared it even once, then go for it. Everyone in your family will enjoy it. The taste of this dish can make people wonder what all ingredients you had to add to make this delicious dish. While you need just three ingredients.
- 1 pound ground beef
- One jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- One package (25 ounces) frozen sausage or cheese ravioli
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1) Take a large skillet and cook the beef in medium flame until it’s no longer pink. Drain it. In a greased two qt, take a baking dish, layer it with spaghetti sauce, half ravioli and beef, and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat the layers. On top, add remaining cheese and sauce.
2) Cover and bake it at 400° for 40-45 minutes. It will get heated, then add basil on top to serve.
2. Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
Everyone likes to eat pork. Pepper pulled pork is the best and easy dish to make for dinner. You can make this dish in the crock pot or dutch oven. It is juicy, savory, and sweet. When you are busy and want to make a quick and easy dinner, pepper pulled pork is the best option to prepare.
- 3-4 lbs Pork shoulder
- Garlic Powder
- 1 Onion
- One can Dr. Pepper 3/4 cup Bbq Sauce
1) Firstly, rub the salt, pepper, and garlic powder into the pork. Place it into the pot. Take the slices of onion and put them in the pot. Now pour over Dr. Pepper. Let it boil. Reduce the sim for 3 hours until the meat is tender. Boil the remaining juice.
2) Shred the meat and add BBQ sauce, then stir it. Allow the sauce to heat. Serve it.
3. Homemade Garlic Knots
Homemade Garlic Knots are undoubtedly a fantastic dish to make at dinner for the family. They will enjoy having this meal together. Garlic Knots are super easy to make. You can make this dish with basic ingredients that are present in your kitchen.
For the dough:
- 3 and 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- One envelope of active dry yeast
- Two teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, 110 – 115 degrees (F)
- Two tablespoons plus two teaspoons olive oil, divided
For the garlic coating:
- One stick of unsalted butter
- Six cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1) Take a bowl with a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, and add the bread flour, sugar, yeast, and salt, then combine them. Turn the mixer into low and add warm water, two tablespoons of olive oil, beat until the dough forms a ball around the beat. You can add flour if the dough is too sticky. Scrape the dough on a floured surface and make it smooth like a firm ball.
2) Take a large bowl and pour two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the dough and cover it with plastic wrap. Place that bowl in a warm area for 90 minutes so that it will double its size.
3) Turn the dough out into a lightly floured surface and divide it into two pieces. Place them around the plastic wraps and keep them aside for 10 minutes. On the top, add a light sprinkling of flour and, using a sharp knife, slice each into quarters. You should have 16 pieces now. Take each dough and shape it into individual balls. Roll that ball into a large rope and tie a knot. Place those knots in baking sheets. Cover it with plastic wrap loosely and keep it aside for 30 minutes. The knots will rise more than before.
4) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. After 30 minutes, remove the plastic wrap and place the Garlic knots in the oven. Bake it for 20 minutes until it gets golden brown and firm.
5) Let it cool for 5 minutes and brush the garlic coating on the knots. Sprinkle cheese and ready to serve.
For garlic coating
Melt the butter in a small pan on medium flame, add garlic and simmer the flame for 2-3 minutes. Add parsley and garlic salt. Stir it to combine. Remove from heat and keep it aside until needed.
4. Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
Everyone likes to eat pizza, especially when it has cheese. Kids will enjoy their night meals for sure. Chili cheese dog pizza takes some time to prepare, but it is worth it. There will be a unique dish to eat at the dinner if you prepare so.
- One can (13.8 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Classic Crust Pizza Crust
- Five all-beef hot dogs
- One tablespoon CRISCO® 100% Extra Virgin or Pure Olive Oil
- One clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chili with beans (from 15-oz can)
- One medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1) Heat the oven to 400F. Spray a large cookie sheet with CRISCO® non-stick cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust dough and press on a cookie sheet into a 13×9-inch rectangle. Form rim in the edges.
2) Perk the hot dog with a fork and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices. Place those slices on the dough and press it gently. Now mix oil and garlic, then drizzle it over the dough and hot dog. Bake it for 15-20 minutes until it gets golden brown.
3) Take one saucepan and heat chili over medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Stir it until it gets hot.
4) Spoon chili randomly on the hot dog and spread evenly to cover. Now sprinkle onion, pickles, and cheese.
5) Bake for 2-3 minutes. Drizzle ketchup and mustard accordingly over pizza.
5. Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
It is a healthy dish. You can prepare it for dinner as it is easy and quick to make. If you are tired and still want to make a tasty dish, try the classic tuna noodle casserole. Your family will like it, and kids will enjoy eating.
- One can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (Regular or 98% Fat-Free)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Birds Eye® Sweet Garden Peas
- Two tablespoons chopped pimientos
- Two cans (about 6 ounces each) tuna, drained
- 2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Two tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- One tablespoon butter, melted
1) Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In one baking dish, stir soup, milk, pimientos, tuna, and noodles. Next, take a small bowl and mix bread crumbs and cheese.
2) Bake it for 20 minutes till the tuna starts boiling, and stir the tuna mixture. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture and bake it for 5 minutes till the bread crumb mixture is golden brown.
6. Patty Melts
Patty melt is like a sandwich that consists of a hamburger patty and melted swiss cheese. It is American cuisine. You can cook this for your dinner. It is tasty and healthy food to eat for dinner.
- Ten thin slices of sweet onion
- Two tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Four pieces of rye bread
- Two tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- Two teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Two slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
1) Take a large non-stick skillet to saute onion in one tablespoon of butter until it gets tender. Now remove it and keep warm.
In the same skillet, cook patties in medium flame for 3-4 minutes on each side. 2) Shape beef into two oval patties and sprinkle salt & pepper. Drain the meat juice.
3) Spread the butter on one side of the bread. Now place the skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
4) Combine salad and horseradish. On each side of the toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, dressing mixture, and half of the onion.
7. Easy Clam Chowder
Easy Clam Chowder is the perfect meal to have with your family and friends. It just requires 30 minutes to prepare this dish. This dish is suitable to eat in the evening as well as at night.
- Six bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Two cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Three cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
1) Take a large skillet and cook bacon on medium flame till it gets crispy, then use a slotted spoon to remove paper towels. Drain it—Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings.
2) Take a small skillet and saute onion in reserved dripping till it gets tender. Stir milk and soup. Now add clams, lemon juice, thyme, pepper, and bacon. Cook until it’s heated and garnish with parsley.
8. Black Bean Burgers
Kids will have fun at dinner. Black bean burgers are different from other regular burgers. So give it a try and make this dish for your family.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- One tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- Two tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Two teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- One egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Four hamburger rolls
1) Heat a grill pan on medium flame. Chop garlic and onion finely. Add one can of black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
2) Transfer the mixture to a large mixer, and add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper for taste. Mix it well.
3) Divide 2/3 mixture in 4 portions to form into patties. Save some mix for some other use. Place a hot grill on medium flame and cook for 6 minutes—toast hamburger bun on grill. Now place a burger on each bun. On top, add lettuce, tomato, and ketchup. It is ready to serve.
9. Garlic Spaghetti (Spaghetti Aglio e Olio)
It is a tasty dish and suitable to cook for dinner. The ingredients are simple to make this dish. It might take a little time to cook but it’s worth eating this for dinner.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- One teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1) Boil water in the large pot. Add salt and pasta. Once the pasta is cooked, reserve some water in one cup. Now drain the left-out water.
2) Chop the garlic into thin pieces. Mince the parsley.
3) Add olive oil to a large pot and cook on medium flame. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add in the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley, then cook for a minute. Make sure you don’t cook for long as it can spoil the garlic taste.
4) Now add the reserved water, pasta, and remaining garlic—Cook for two more minutes. Add water and pasta if needed.
5) Add parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
10. Pizza Rolls
Pizza rolls are always amazing to eat. It will be a different dish for dinner. Kids will enjoy the dinner as it will be pizza rolls. Pizza rolls are a tasty and mouth-watery dish.
- 1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Classic Crust Pizza Crust
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or diced (diced is less messy)
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- Pizza sauce for dipping
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and spray a baking dish.
2) Unroll pizza on a floured surface and press a 12×8-inch rectangle. Cut it into 24 pieces. Place pepperoni and cheese on the center of each piece. To create a ball, gather the square and punch it close. Place those balls on the side of the baking dish.
3) In a small ramekin, stir butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning together. Brush the top of the rolls with melted butter mixture with a pastry brush. Now sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the rolls.
4) Bake it for 15-18 minutes till the rolls are golden brown. Serve it with pizza sauce for dipping.
11. Quick Turkey Ragu
You can easily make this dish. It is best for dinner to eat with family as it is delicious and unique. Your family will also have something different and new for dinner today. This dish is quick and easy to prepare. Turkey Ragu is healthy and occasionally made too. However, the dish has a good amount of fat and calories.
- Two tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- Two garlic cloves, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1½ pounds ground turkey. (ground beef or lamb are great too!) I have a slight preference for dark meat.
- One cup of good dry red wine, good choices: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, or Zinfandel.
- Four cups of your favorite marinara sauce or easy homemade tomato sauce.
1) Take a large non-stick skillet or heavy saucepan and heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium flame. Add chopped shallots and stir for 3 minutes. Now add one tablespoon of chopped garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
2) Add turkey to the skillet and some salt. Cook, stir and break the meat with the wooden spoon. If there is liquid in the pot, then cook for an additional minute to evaporate. Pour some wine and simmer the flame for 5 minutes.
3) Pour 4 cups of marinara sauce and bring it to a boil. Cook the meat sauce and cover it for 10 minutes to combine the flavors. Serve sauce over pasta or zoodles. To make it creamier, add 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese into the sauce before serving.
12. Pea + Ham Soup
To prepare the soup, it takes 1 hour 50 minutes. This soup is perfect for dinner. Soups are usually made for snacks, but Pea & Ham Soup has healthy ingredients that help to fulfill your hunger and satisfy your need. This soup has nourishing ingredients that add an excellent taste that no one can refuse to eat more once tasted.
- 1 x 500g packet green split peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Two brown onions, coarsely chopped
- Three carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- Three celery sticks end trimmed, coarsely chopped
- One large (about 750g) ham hock (see note)
- 2.75L (11 cups) water
- Turkish bread, toasted, to serve
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Two dried bay leaves
- Four black peppercorns
1) Take a large bowl and place the split peas in it. Cover it with cold water and set it aside for 6 hours. Drain it later.
2) Place the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a small muslin piece to make bouquet garni. Wrap it and tie it with kitchen string.
3) Take a large saucepan and heat the oil on medium flame. Add carrot, onions, cereal and keep it uncovered. Cook and stir it often for 10 minutes until the onions are soft. Now add split peas, bouquet garni, ham hock, and water. Cover and let it boil.
4) Reduce the flame to medium, uncover, and stir it for 1 to 2 hours. Do it until the ham begins to fall off the bone, and the soup thickens. Remove the pan from heat.
5) With tongs, remove the ham hock from the pan and set it aside until it gets cool. You can use your hands to pull off the ham from the bone. Leave the bone and get the ham to the soup.
6) Stir the soup on low flame for 4-5 minutes. It is ready to get served with toasted Turkish bread.
13. Stuffed Jacket Potatoes
Stuffed jacket potatoes are easy and comfortable to prepare. They are extremely tasty to eat in any weather conditions. If you choose to prepare this dish for dinner, I am sure your whole family enjoys the meal with happiness. The creamy potato and cheese flavor will make the dish delicious and yummy.
- Four medium potatoes
- 100g strong cheddar, grated, plus extra for topping
- 100g sweetcorn
- 100g mixed pepper, diced
- A small handful of fresh herbs, such as oregano, basil, coriander, dill, or thyme
1) Heat the oven at 200C and bake the potatoes for at least 1 hour. Bake it until the skin is crispy. Then, leave it aside till it cools.
2) Cut the potatoes in half so that you can stuff the jacket potatoes. Now use a spoon to remove the potato’s middle portion; don’t let the skin break. Next, place the portion of the potato in a mixing bowl.
3) Take a fork and mask the potatoes until there are no lumps. Now add cheese, sweetcorn, and peppers and mix it well. Next, take the leaves from herbs and rip the larger leaves into small pieces. Finally, stir the herbs in a cheesy potato mixture.
4) Take a spoon, scoop the mixture back in potato boats. Mix up properly. Now sprinkle extra grated cheese and place it on the baking tray. Use the oven gloves and place the tray in the oven. Let it bake for 10-15 minutes until it’s golden.
Having a family dinner is the best thing to do in a day. Make sure you prepare unique dishes and surprise your family for meals. They will also enjoy eating it.