So we are well acquainted with the fact that each place on this earth is known for its own peculiarity. Everything has its own specialties that make it stand out.
Undeniable is the fact that the beautiful countries in the world have more to offer, something that we humans might not be even known to.
A place’s beauty and charm lies not only in sculptures and monuments but also in some of the interesting facts that e people tend to not know in the longer run.
A place or city or country is made best by summing all its peculiarities and highlighting the best of all traits.
Today we are here to describe and talk about some peculiarities of the country new Zealand that makes it stand out.
101 Interesting Facts about New Zealand
We will be discussing points as to what are the best or the highlights of New Zealand and that attracts a greater tourist towards the place.
We will go point by point wherein you will be fed with some amazing facts that were never known to you. So do follow the details below if you do not want to miss out on such an interesting topic.
By the end of the article, you will be sure to gain ample knowledge on the country.
1. To highlight the very first amazing fact, the country has no place or part that is more than 79 miles from the sea.
2. Secondly, there is a native bird known with the name Kea which pulls windscreen wipers off cars. The same bird is also known for eating the strips of rubber from windows.
3. Thirdly, it has the longest name of a place in the world, the name is, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu. It is a hill in Hawkes Bay.
4. Fourthly, In the scene Star Trek: First Contact, we can see New Zealand missing while Australia and Papua New Guinea are clearly seen.
5. It has wellington as the Southernmost capital city in the world.
6. The ratio of humans to animals is somewhat shocking. The animal population is somewhat higher than those of humans.
7. The Corruptions Perception Index, which measures the corruption of each country in the world has stated that New Zealand is the only country with the least corruption along with Denmark.
8. In terms of Scottish pipe bands, it is a beet that we inform you, it has more per capita of the same as compared to any other country in the world.
9. There is a blue lake in New Zealand, in Nelson Lakes national park. It is known to have the purest and the cleanest water in the world. One could easily figure it out just by taking a view of the same.
10. In terms of sea animals, fishes, crabs, dolphins, it is the coolest country for it is home to several dolphins that are very small.
11. It protects its sanctity in such terms and dolphins have almost known to love the place to the fullest.
12. In New Zealand, the populations of reptiles are low. You could hardly find one. It is also believed that there are hardly any land snakes there, be it native or introduced.
13? While every country has one mother tongue, New Zealand is known to stand out in this aspect too. It has there native languages, English, Maori, and also the sign language of New Zealand.
14. An international survey also revealed that it has been the place of most visited destination. People often love to spend their holidays here.
15. It is known to be the first country to organize commercial bungee jumping.
16. Everest, the first man to climb it was none other than a New Zealander and a Kiwi, Edmund Hillary.
17. Studies revealed that the lowest denomination in New Zealand currency is the 10 cent piece.
18. People in New Zealand are known to die every year more from Lawn bowls than scuba diving.
19. More penguins are found to love the place. Tus it has the largest population of penguins.
20. It was in 1893 that New Zealand empowered its women by giving them the right to vote.
21. If you do not have more money, do not worry to move to Auckland as it is one of the most affordable cities in the world in the country New Zealand.
22. Also, every third house in Auckland is known for owning a boat.
23. New Zealand was the only country to legalize same-sex marriage in 2013, the earliest of the early.
24. Aotearoa is a Maori name for New Zealand, it is meant “land of the long white cloud”
25. The heaviest insect in the world, Giant Weta, is giant than a giant cockroach and a sparrow is known to have its home in New Zealand.
26. It has the world’s steepest street known as Baldwin Street in Dunedin City.
27. 15% of the population of New Zealand are Maori.
28. To talk about the size of the country, it is the same as that of the United Kindom but when we talk and compare the two populations, New Zealand has only 4 million population.
29. The one-third country of New Zealand is a protected park.
30. The wanderlust magazine in 2007 and 2008 voted it to be the world’s best country.
31. In the 1900s, a dolphin in New Zealand named Perilous Jack guided the ships through dangerous and rocky waters.
32. New Zealand is among the 2 countries in the world where drug advertisement is allowed to take place publicly. The other one being the United States Of America.
33. A kiwi or better knowns New Zealander, Nancy Wake was once the most wanted person of world war 2 as she committed murders.
34. The population of humans in Auckland is Larger than the one compared to the South Island. We are talking here about the whole of the south island.
35. Kiwi is the logo for the Royal New Zealand Airforce.In the “Lord of the rings,” the beer was New Zealand’s brew, “Sobering Thought”
36. The country’s economy was boosted after they earned a larger part of the money from the film “Lord of the rings”. A minister was made to look into the economic matters drawn out and contributed from the film.
37. The minister of the economic aspect concerning the film had to make sure that they earned and generated much revenue from the film.
38. It also is known to have the weirdest people, for this it should be added that a man broke into a radio station and demanded to paly the muppet song named “rainbow connection”.
39. In terms of animals, it has been proved to be the most uplifted and upgraded country. Two shelter dogs were taken and trained to drive a car. I am sure you have not heard any country do this before.
40. The Kiwi badminton team that was known with the name of “ The Black Cocks” were brutally forced to change their name after the complaint was filed against them.
41. In the year 1990, the then prime minister developed a stranger interest and appointed a national wizard.
42. A famous player of Rugby named Wayne Shelford got ripped open his scrotum in the mid of the game.
43. He was the same person who was immediately treated there with one testicle hanging and continued the game. It is one of the bravest and wildest moves known to be in the history of sports.
44. The schools and colleges there in New Zealand have been known to take some weird and unexpected moves. They are allowed to keep Uranium and Thorium for educational purposes.
45. It is also known that the same uranium or Thorium if explored demands a charge of $ 1 million.
46. We have known by now that the sea animals there enjoy a great sanctity. Snails too are in the category. It is said that a giant carnivorous snail resides on the South Island of New Zealand.
47. The government of New Zealand for a certain year was known to plan its remedy for shipwrecks.
48. To fulfill the purpose, they took a great step by making supply-filled huts on remote islands. This was proved to be one of the major steps taken by any government of the country n the world.
49. There is a strange clock in the city Dunedin of New Zealand which is the oldest living one as it has been in existence since 1864. It is generally believed that it was never wounded or stopped.
50. In the city of Gisborne of New Zealand, there is a weird airport that is known to have rail tracks in the mid of the runway.
51. It often occurs that sometimes the train and sometimes the plain has to stop if they come to each other’s way to let the other proceeding. The tracks or the railway tracks in between the runway was made to serve this purpose.
52. It was the only country to have a 58% casualty rate in world war 1.
53. The most famous fruit of New Zealand known as the kiwi Fruit was earlier known with the name of Chinese gooseberries. Does not it sound strange? But it tasted somewhat the same.
54. The only country to have two national anthems “ God save the queen” and “ God defends New Zealand”. No other country in the world has two national anthems.
55. The Ninety mile beach in New Zealand when measured, revealed that is only 90 kilometers long.
56. There was a native bird in Nw Zealand named Mao, but unfortunately there existence has been diminished over the years.
57. Harold Gillies, the man who pioneered plastic surgery was a kiwi.
58. Baron Ernest Rutherford, the man who split the atom and discovered and named proton later was also a kiwi.
59. The highest position in the Country is mostly held by women and it is the first country in the world to have employed more women to higher positions than men.
60. The national sports of New Zealand is Rugby Union.
61. To talk about nuclear power stations, there are none in New Zealand.
62. A reptile of New Zealand named Henry tuatara was the first one to become a father at the age of 111.
63. It has the right to put hobbit-related images on its currency. It is the only country in the world to have such rights.
64. The last habitable landmass to be populated was this country.
65. The three-quarters of New Zealanders living overseas are in Australia.
66. Also, the number of criminals and the prisoners in New Zealand consist of more men. It has been reported that currently, 94% of prisoners are males in New Zealand.
67. To particularly talk about the land mammals in New Zealand, you should know that bats are the only natives. The other mammals do no peculiarly belong but were extensively introduced by Maoris and Europeans.
68. A couple in New Zealand were banned or let’s say forbidden to name their child, 4real in the year 2007. However, later it was known that the same couple had named their child superman. Dies not it sound strange. Strange people and strange names.
69. Now to emphasizes some amazing facts related to food, you should know that it is the country that produces 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year per head.
70. It is the only Christian country to have blocked all the advertisements that regularly take place. The ban was made for special days such as Good Friday, Easter Sunday ANZAC day, and also Christmas day.
71. Niue a place in New Zealand that is a self- governed has stuck the images of pokemon on its legal tender coins. It is also known that there is a limited collection of coins with images from the star war films.
72. There are said to be more vending machines in Japan than the number of people in New Zealand, as revealed by a study.
73. We all know that New Zealanders are known with the name “Kiwis”. Do not mistake them to have known after their native fruit kiwi. Kiwi there is also a name for a flightless bird and Ne Zealands are known to be Kiwis because of the bird.
74. It was the first nation to be recognized as the one with the title universal suffrage. As the year 1893 brought New Zealanders to their right to vote regardless of gender. Where every category of human was allowed to vote.
75. The Gisborne city of New Zealand was initially the only one to have seen the sunrise. But unfortunately, it could only be done until 2011. After this, Samoa moved its position on the international dateline, and hence the view o the sunshine was not met thereafter.
76. The famous Bungy Jumping there was tested by A.J Hackett who sneaked up the Eiffel tower one morning and then later jumped off. This way the Bungy jumping was invented. New Zealanders enjoy such adventures.
77. As we all know that New Zealand is the only one to have wizards appointed. The duty of Wizard of Christchurch includes cheering up the population and casting spells.
78. You should try and visit Mount Doom in the Tongariro National Par of New Zealand. It is the oldest park in New Zealand and is also home to three active volcanoes.
79. Go to the geothermal waters in Rotorua of New Zealand. It is a beautiful lakeside location, host springs, geysers look and feel more soothing here than any other place in the entire world.
80. You could also go sailing around the Bay of Islands in New Zealand. It offers you plenty of boat line which could easily be explored by the boats. You will also find various villages where you could easily stop while boating
81. The rock arch of the cathedral cove is an incredible sight in New Zealand. A great place for a holiday destination, but the area could only be explored by boats or on foot. So whenever you plan to visit New Zealand do not forget to see this site.
82. There is a Whangarei falls in New Zealand known to be 24 feet high and it flows for the entire year. It is the best place to go on small trips and picnic with your friends and family while enjoying nature’s presence around you.
83. You might want to explore forests and see thousands yer old trees as a part of an adventure trip. For this, Hokianga on the west coast, and there you are to the Waipoua forest. Trees here are said to be even 3000 years old.
84. If you are a fan of the Fantasy trilogy then instantly saddle up your packhorse and rife to matamata, This is the place wherein you will find and enjoy what is known as a real or actual Hobbiton.
85. If you want to truly get to the point wherein you could openly appreciate the ocean vistas then the Castlepoint and its striking 100-year-old lighthouse is the best place to truly appreciate the ocean vistas.
86. If you want to see New Zealand’s active marine volcano then pay a visit to the Bay of Plenty, The place has sand, sun, and surf to rival anywhere in the world. You will also get forest kiwi fruits there.
87. You are a fan of art and culture and wish to explore Maori culture in New Zealand then Rotorua is a great spot to discover the same. You can also do so by exploring Mitai Maori village and the native bush.
88. If you want to explore the greenery and mother nature’s magic the straightaway pack you bags to pay a visit to the white sands and stony bays of Coromandel
89. It is a good place to escape and is close to New Zealand.
90. The Whangarei river is the first river in the world in the country of New Zealand to be recognized as a person, a Maori ancestor. You could easily explore the river and the pace either bt bike, kayak, or canoe.
91. The east cape in the new york contains a little community where people ate loving and friendly towards each other. You may choose to hang out with them once you visit New Zealand.
92. Hawke’s bay in new Zealand despite having mountains, beaches, forests, are more known for its wines. It would make you fall in love with it once you plan on having it.
93. You can choose to explore lake Taupo in New Zealand. Here one of the most violent volcanic eruptions takes place. But it has been quiet for a little while now.
94. To take a good geothermal bath in new Zealand dif a big hole into the sand of hot water beach in mercury bay. You will feel like having a glorious treat.
95. Huka falls is a series of waterfalls in the Waikato River. It offers both brilliantly blue and dramatically crashing glasses of water.
96. If you want to explore all of the facts mentioned above in a series then you would want a vehicle or a transport to rely on. For this, you may hire a campervan.
97. You may also go outside the cities to explore more and incredible landscapes, rivers, canyons, and waterfalls. Though they are a bit scary you won’t be hurt.
98. For more adventures, try kite landboarding on Foxton Beach. Here windsurfing is amazing. If you do not know how to swim then this is the best alternative.
99. For insane fun, try zorbing in Rotorua. You can seal yourself into a large ball and go rolling around the countryside. It is amazingly ridiculous to have experienced this.
100. To get 360 views of the city, climb means jump off the Auckland harbor bridge.
101. You may also go to meet the wildlife in Zealandia wildlife sanctuary. There is a huge range of birds and reptiles here.If you want to see the entire wellington city you can climb mount victoria lookout.
So these were some of the interesting facts about New Zealand. You may love to taste its fruits and see the charming presence of different species of animals there.
Out of these facts do sound strange too which might trigger you to at least once be into the land of desire. Hope this article helps!